Tuesday 10 April 2012

Tulip Care


Around Mother’s day I bought myself some tulips (I know, I’m not a mom, but they were on sale, and I wanted some!). They were great for a while, full of flowers but a month later they were done. I realized it was another flower and plant I didn’t know that much about.
They are supposed to be really simple to care for but I thought I clearly missed something.
So here’s another post on another plant I want to share the care on:

Planting tulips
Generally they are planted so the bottom of the bulb is 3-5 inches deep. It doesn’t really matter which side is “up” – the bulb will figure this out in the spring and it will be fine. Do not put fertilizer down the planting hole as it may very well burn tender emerging roots Do add compost around the top of the soil after planting.

After They Bloom
They do not have to be dug up once they are finished growing and the leaves fade. As long as you don’t water them, they’ll be quite happy in the ground. Cut the flower stem to the base where you can see it when the flower fades and the petals start to fall. This stops the flower from setting seed and instead it puts its efforts into building a big bulb for next year. However, do not cut the leaves off the tulip until they start to fade and turn yellow. This is extremely important if you want to see bulbs live from year to year. Those leaves are energy factories and the bulb needs the energy to grow and produce another flower. If you find yourself still having tulip leaves when you want to plant annual flowers then switch to early varieties of tulips that will be finished when it is time to plant annuals.

Do Not Water
Do not water tulips during the hot summer months. They are genetically used to hot, dry summers and cool wet springs. If you irrigate them, you may cause them to rot.

Do Not Plant Tulips Too Early
Another important point in tulip care is to never plant them too early. Try to time the planting so the bulbs are only in the ground for a few weeks before the big frost in your area. If you plant them too early, they may start growing. Once they start growing in the fall, they will either die during the winter or they may live but not flower. (the odds are they’ll die).

After reading the info above I trimmed them down, checked the bulbs to make sure I didn’t rot them out with over watering, and now I’m just wanting to get them outside and planted in the front of my house.

Do you have any tips or special way you care for your flowers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! I read each and every comment :)